Parent/guardian, please complete the following form to request a need-based scholarship. We have limited scholarships available, but will do our very best to ensure our programming is accessible to everyone, regardless of current financial conditions. Please note, full scholarships are only granted on rare occasions.
- Full or partial scholarships are granted based on financial need, and are distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- A place will be held in your requested course once your scholarship application is received.
- All provided information is confidential.
We follow King County Housing Authority guidelines on low-income status. However, we understand that special circumstances could provide reasoning for tuition assistance.
Please contact us with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org (206) 322-7030
Hugo House has two performance spaces: the 1700-sq-ft backyard and the Cabaret, both of which are available for rental on a case-by-case basis.
The Backyard allows seating for 150 with extra space for tables or additional guests as needed. Enclosed from street traffic by hedges of tall Thuja trees, the open space is ideal for any outdoor, private occasion. Rate of $65 per hour.
The Cabaret has a 64-sq-ft wooden stage and comfortable seating for 60. Basic lighting and a small PA system and speakers are also available. Rate of $75 per hour.
Classrooms range from 300 to 500 square feet and accommodate roughly 16-20 seats around a table. Rate of $55 per hour.
Job title: Marketing & Communications Manager Position: Full time exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Hugo House is a nonprofit literary arts organization in Seattle with a 20-year history as the city's hub for writers. In fall 2018, Hugo House moves into a new 10,000-square-foot facility in the heart of the Capitol Hill. The new space will enable dramatic growth in classes and event programming in years to come and presents an excellent opportunity for an eager, ambitious, and seasoned marketing professional. One of the nation’s leading community-based centers for the literary arts, Hugo House has a vision to open the literary world to anyone who loves books or has a drive to write, no matter their background – removing barriers and fostering racial equity. Hugo House offers over 200 creative writing classes a year, includes lively teen writing programs, and presents hundreds of events annually.
Reaching over 12,000 people every year, Hugo House nurtures new talent, helps writers realize their goals, rigorously challenges those who are about to publish, and offers connection and community with other writers.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is an integral member of the Hugo House staff, responsible for planning, implementing, and measuring the success of Hugo House’s marketing strategies, communications, and public relations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for:
- Increasing the visibility of Hugo House and expanding the audience for programs through communication with current and potential stakeholders, including students, event attendees, donors, and youth
- Developing and executing a marketing plan with communications timelines
- Assuring the proper use of Hugo House branding across all communications
- Write copy for and edit written materials for style, grammar, and tone
- Manage all email communications via e-News and targeted email campaigns
- Analyze web trends to support online strategy (SEO, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Produce and maintain online content for hugohouse.org
- Craft engaging and relevant posts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Steer production of all print collateral for organization
- Plan and place ads, adhering to brand guidelines
- Prepare printed programs for events in-house (as needed)
- Work with graphic design and photography contractors
- Write and disseminate press releases
- Maintain relationships with members of the media and set up interviews
- Coordinate media sponsorships
- Guide education, events, and development staff on marketing tactics, as well as external and internal communication systems
- Serve as the primary staff contact for the marketing committee, develop agendas in partnership with the committee chair, and maintain minutes
- Create marketing communication tools and develop dashboards
- Oversee the annual report
- Manage interns
Background & experience
- Passionate about the literary arts and Hugo House’s mission
- B.A. or higher in English, Communications, or related field
- 3-6 years of marketing and communications experience
Necessary skills & abilities
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Strong project management skills
- Savvy and creative with content marketing
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- Comfort using a CMS, such as Word Press
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Mac platform
- Experience with email platforms, such as MailChimp
- Knowledge of web analytics
- Expertise in social media
- Familiarity with local media and relationships with media contacts
- Strong attention to detail, while maintaining big-picture vision
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities on tight deadlines
- An eye for graphic design
- Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style and a fan of Oxford commas
- We nurture a culture of gratitude
- Learning environment
- Strong sense of accountability
- Initiative and the ability to think critically
- Sense of humor
- Team players who thrive on collaboration
Compensation commensurate with experience; good benefits package